Forum home Plants

IS THIS LAVENDER?

FallonFallon Posts: 59

Can anyone advise please?

We moved to a house with a lovely garden 2 years ago. We have tidied it all up and cut back a lot of the bushes last year. and they have all come back looking well except one. There is one which I thought was a lavender as it has leaves which end up being pale to silvery green when fully grown which is later in the year -about now- and also has a purple flower. It smells like lavender . I had cut it right back because the branches were all really old but I thought I had killed it until some new growth appeared not long ago which still have  tiny leaves but are still growing.I have looked everywhere for a plant the same in every garden centre I can find but I cannot find this plant anywhere. I wonder if it is a lavender at all. The leaves are a different shape to any lavender plant I have seen in the garden centres.Does anyone have an idea what this plant might be ?

imagene himageimageimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,186

Certainly not Lavender. Not sure what it is though.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,366

no, it's not lavender, If it has a strong smell it could be some sort of salvia but I don't recognise it

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

Is it possible this could be a caryopteris?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,366
    Ceres says:

Is it possible this could be a caryopteris?

See original post

I wondered about that from the look but I don't think that smells like lavender? Tell you what, I'll get off my backside and so and have a sniff

Well, it smells of something. Not quite lavender but I think you're right Ceresimage

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

Its worth keeping a plant like that. Bees love it.

• FallonFallon Posts: 59

YES ! This is the plant I have. Thank you so much !!! 

I googled a photo and this is how it looks when in full bloom. I wonder why I have not seen it in any of the garden centres? Do you think it will recover fully? Maybe I should not have cut it back so hard.

Last edited: 16 August 2016 11:41:05

• FallonFallon Posts: 59

Thank you Verdun. I will keep an eye out for these.image