Myths and Legends

Having already lived through the endless advice of what is good or bad for us ( margarine v butter - too numerous to mention ), I was intrigued to hear the other day that flossing teeth is .......well, not exactly useless but has no benefits whatsoever.

Anyone has a particular favourite myth ?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,986

Growing sempervivums on your roof protects from lightning strikes.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LantanaLantana Posts: 5,674

I was told by a concerned friend we should stop having a glass of water on the table when we have dinner. Why? Because we eat a lot of salad etc and use olive oil for dressings and so on. Apparently 'they' have found that since oil and water don't mix, the consequences of drinking water at the same time you eat anything with olive oil in or on can result in a gunge of oil and water mix accumulating in the intestines - same as it would inside pipes - with dire consequences. Hmmm.....

Ladybird image Only sempervivum or can it be another type of plant too?

Well I've only heard Sempervivum - (common name Houseleek) but why not??? Which plant would you use?

• B3B3 Posts: 9,460

I read once that you shouldn't drink water with a meal as it dilutes the digestive juices.  Wine's acidic isn't it? - nice oneimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

Thats why red wine is good for digestion. Yay!!!!! I knew I drank it for some reason.

Great! How about we all sit down with a glass of red and ponder which plants might deflect lightning strikes from house roofs. Wonder if they have to be fleshy leaved. I've seen lots of houses with various forms of lichen on the roof and they're still standing ......image

I think a giant Saguaro would look briliant on a roof - its got the right sort of lightning conductor arms.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,952

Gardening by the moon. image

Last edited: 14 August 2016 19:51:02

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

I KNEW I shouldn't have started on the red wine!