How to use my kitchen food waste

Hi there, 

I have a kitchen compost bin that now has enough recycled waste to put to use. The only thing I really need to know is this ..... I don't have a garden but only a balcony! I have a few late summer plants to pot up. Can this be used in pots? And if so would I mix it into the soil or put it at the bottom of pot where the drainage grit is? If this can be done that's great to hear. Also, are there any other ways I can use it effectively ie, with seeds, veg etc bearing in mind I only have pots to work with? I would gratefully appreciate any sound advice by you guys in the know!

kind regards

flowerbomb 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,225

Hi flowerbomb. Can you tell me about your kitchen compost bin? Is it inside or outside? I only ask as I have a small kitchen compost bin, lined with a biodegradable liner, which gets put into my Council green bin to be taken away. Unless its just vegetable peelings etc. when it goes into my garden compost bin. I cannot visualise what you mean. For compost to be usable it requires a time to completely break down and I cannot imagine keeping compost in a bin in a kitchen until that happens.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Does your Council collect Food Waste or does it all go in the general waste to land-fill?

No, you cannot put compost ingredients straight on plants.  It will smell and attract flies.  Better to send it away and buy council compost if they do it.  Or set up a wormery.  You can do that on a balcony.

• Hi Lady and Welshonion,

I thought I would let you know that after doing some research on the web I realise now that a) as you say Ladybird, the compost is a process that takes time and b) Yes there are ways you can do this in a small apartment or on balconies but I have decided I am not going to do it. As you say Welshonion, I could have a wormery on balcony but to be honest I have my balcony looking so lovely and I love spending time on there, whether it be pottering about planting, pruning or having a glass of wine whilst enjoying the view of the Thames. For now, I want to enjoy my flowers and lovely view and think, well, at least after a painful relationship split - Even without a garden I am lucky enough to be where I am at all.

Kind Regards

Kirsten

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,194

Concentrate on yourself and keep it simple for your plants. Successful composting would be virtually impossible to achieve in your situation.

When you get a proper garden in future it'll be different  image

Good luck to you flowerbomb image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,225

Bless you Kirsten. You enjoy your balcony - oh and the vino of course! Liz x

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thank you for your comments guys, much appreciated 

Kind Regards

Kirsten image