Rosecottage2 Posts: 14
I have an old clematis which blooms from June - Oct and looks as though it's been in place for years. For the first time this year it has a lot of mildew and some of the flowers are dying off. Should I wait until the autumn to cut it right back or should I do it now before the mildew spreads around?
I think that I would wait. If you cut it back now and we get a bit of an Indian Summer (yeah right!) it may produce some young shoots that will then get hammered by the frost. You could remove a few of the worst affected stems if it is so bad.