Olympics

I'm actually quite surprised that nobody has started a topic about the Olympics, so I'm doing it. image

I think it's good to see so much coverage of many of the 'minority' sports, and that they are available on terrestrial TV if you have a reasonably modern TV.  I'm guessing many of the channels are being broadcast on the HD section as I can get them on my set with an HD tuner, but not on the older set which doesn't have that.

What I think they are really doing well is using people with in depth knowledge of the subject alongside the 'normal' presenters.  I've particularly enjoyed Steve Redgrave and Chris Hoy's input.

I loved Steve Redgrave's put down of John Inverdale with his response to possibly the most stupid question I've heard Inverdale come out with (there have been plenty to choose from over the years).  Just before the rowing semi with Kath Grainger, Inverdale asked Redgrave "Just how important is this race to Grainger and Thornley?"  Redgrave's response was along the lines of "Stating the obvious, but very important.  If they don't get through, they won't be in the final!"

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,472

I loved the brilliant quote from Sir Chris Hoy about Sir Bradley Wiggins, talking to him about when BW was a kid with long gangly legs, "... and then you got on a bike, and everyone said 'This kid's going somewhere'." 

A bit obvious, I'd have thought ........ a bike is a mode of transport

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,902

Ah - Sir Chris. What a man though - thighs that can crush walnuts at twenty paces!  image

and Sir Steve.. never a man to mince his words  image

I agree - John Inverdale can be remarkably clumsy!  image 

Thought the worst commentating so far was Matt Baker. Could barely watch the first lot of (men's) gymnastics - it was excruciatingly embarrassing. He was like an over excited five year old on Christmas Day. Fortunately, someone must have had a word - he was much quieter on subsequent days..thankfully! image

The chaps doing the diving commentary were great though - not too 'partisan' when the young British lads were doing their thing - brilliantly. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Just watched Steve Redgrave's face as he watched John Inverdale talking around and around in circles about the perfect  rowing four under the umbrellas, just after the camera caught him swallowing something he was eating - SR's face was a picture of total bemusement  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yay!  He just shook the rain off the brolly onto John Inverdale image

Brilliant wasn't it Dove?  image

image Fairy

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,380

This is a forum for people interested in gardening, not sports! However there was indeed a relationship between both activities in the London Olympics, see:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9356379/London-2012-Growing-for-gold-in-the-Olympic-Park-gardens.html 

Not sure the Rio Olympics will leave such horticultural trace behind.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

But we're interested in other things than just gardening Papi Jo....  'The Potting Shed' is the place for all those other subjects that we enjoy.  image

The Rio games are being pushed as being 'green' so, for instance, no bunches of flowers for every medallist - it's been tailored to suit only a few events. It's a huge waste when you consider how those flowers are produced and the massive quantity needed. 

I'm totally choked up with emotion having seen the most phenomenal 10,000 metre world record run by that amazing young woman ... what a feat of courage, endurance and fitness!!! 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,844
    Papi Jo says:

This is a forum for people interested in gardening, not sports!

See original post

Actually it's not.  The descriptor for the Potting Shed is "Venture into the potting shed for garden gossip, topical debate or idle chit-chat."  I would suggest the the Olympics fits perfectly as 'topical debate' and comments about the quality of the commentators falls neatly into "idle chit-chat".