Forum home Plants

Plants identity

imageCan anyone help me to identify these plants and flowers please? First one is a tree, approx. 10 - 15 foot tall - has it been clipped or is this shape natural - it was seen in an open garden.imagePansies but what is the name of this one?imageimageThe 3rd. and 4th. plant are the same, it is lovely but what is it?imageCan anyone name this dahlia?

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

1. Bottom right is crocosmia lucifer. 

3 & 4. phlox paniculata looks like 'Windsor'. 

Last edited: 12 August 2016 10:55:05

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,173

1. Cornus controversa

2. agree

3. agree

5. ??? Dahlia David Howard.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,290

And that's the way Cornus controversa grows - in tiers - it's sometimes known as the Wedding Cake Tree image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,618

Your correct it is David Howard. It's my favourite of our Dahlias although ours are nowhere near flowering yet. 

• Thanks everyone, I am getting some brilliant ideas for what to sow/buy next year.  Yes that Dahlia is a lovely colour - are they quite prolific flowering?  We have Ball Fusion and Bishop of Llandaff this year and are very pleased with them. I have never grown phlox - can it be grown from seed, is it perennial and what are the negatives with these plants, as their colour is so vivid and striking - do they always need staking? Wedding cake tree, now that is an understandable description. Thanks

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

That Phlox is perennial indeed, the only negatives is that it suffers from snails/slug attacks and powdery mildew/fungus. 

• Slugs, they are a nuisance in this garden too - but with a bit of luck they may bypass the Phlox, I am loathe to put pellets down as we have a hedgehog or two living here. Thanks for the names and information.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,180

dahlia david howard is my favourite dahlia as well, shame the slugs nibbled the tops off. 

Have a look a phlox paniculata starfire see if that matches. 

Last edited: 12 August 2016 21:19:10

• Perki, I can't decide now, both are possibles, so which is it, Windsor or Starfire?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,180

Well to me the picture of your phlox looks more red than pink which made me think starfire or possibly another red variety. Windsor is a Pink variety so I leave you to decide which one it is image image