Forum home Plants

Foxglove seedlings

It's 9 days since I first saw the first tiny spots of green in the soil.

They are in John Innes seed compost, and I'm keeping them in my studio/shed near a window, but I'm aware they are still really teeny, and far too small to do anything with.

It's been wild and windy here this week, with heavy rain, and no way could I put them outside to get some of the non existant sun.

What can I do to help them along?

(And if you've not realised I'm a total beginner gardener!)

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,775

Hi Celadonsusan. Just leave then as is until they get large enough to handle and then prick them out into small plant pots. Allow them to grow on on the pots until of a decent size to plant out into their final positions in your garden.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,735

They have their first two little 'leaves' at the moment - they're not true leaves, they're 'seed leaves' or cotyledons.

They will start to grow 'proper' leaves soon - I don't prick seedlings out until they have at least two (and usually four or more) proper leaves - this proves they've got a decent root system going on under g round. 

If you want to know more about 'pricking out' have a look at this video 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-prick-out-seedlings2/ 

Hope that helps image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you, thank you.