Forum home Plants

what qualities do you need to be a good gardener

mushermusher Posts: 389

I'll tell you tomorrow my  mobile key pad is driving me nuts

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

OCD springs to mind...image

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 566

Acceptance that I will break most of my long manicured finger nails during the first week of the summer season, never to grow again until Oct.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

To be a true gardener you must be willing to get muddy, and have patience! Just watch all those people who every year go to B&Q and buy instant colour for their garden. That's not gardening. That's decorating.

• NewbNewb Posts: 211
    Clarington says:

To be a true gardener you must be willing to get muddy, and have patience! Just watch all those people who every year go to B&Q and buy instant colour for their garden. That's not gardening. That's decorating.

See original post

+1 for patience and you need more of it when OH looks at those "decorared houses" and tells you how neat and nice they are as compared to our place ?

• Richard168Richard168 Posts: 115

To be ultra excited when you see your plants springing to life after the winter :)

• mushermusher Posts: 389

Totally agree Patience is one of the valuable keys. Its good to know that theres gardeners out there. Like Clarington and Erics Mum who aren't afraid to get stuck in. A sense of pride and value for your garden stems from that. Casting my eyes over the garden. The garden tells me its needs.( no i don't hear voices lol).. But there is a invisable senstive thread of connection between me and my beautiful plants.

Has each flowering plant fades away and its time for the pruners to come out. I snip with care and quitely thank them for what they have done.

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,550

THE UNFAILING OPTIMISM OF MR. MICAWBER.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Not to be able to go down one single street without peering over the fence or wall to see what's growing image

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 566
    Lou12 says:

Not to be able to go down one single street without peering over the fence or wall to see what's growing image

See original post

With secateurs and plastic bag in my handbag (just in case the owner offers , of course !) 

• NewbNewb Posts: 211
    Lou12 says:

See original post

and smell any flowers which may look fragrant. DH thinks i may evolve and grow some sort of trunk!