Feeding bees

Bee advice needed please! Apart from having bee friendly plants for bees to feed from, should I put out a bowl of sugar water in the garden? I have noticed a lot of dead bees this year:( and wondered if it is through disease or starvation. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,881

Hi Annie. It is not necessary to put out sugar water unless they are really struggling such as for reviving a tired bee (2 tablespoons of white granulated sugar to 1 tablespoon water) and never honey unless you know for definite it is from the bee's home hive. Finding dead bees is quite normal in a British summer and they is little chance they will be starved, I'm afraid its just Nature.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • WateryWatery Posts: 388

Apparently bees can benefit from a shallow pan of fresh water with pebbles in it  so they don't drown for hot days.

• At this time of year they've got all they need from natural forage. Some beekeepers resort to sugar water to top up winter supplies in the hive, but their own stored honey is the right stuff for them, of course. Your bees will, as said, will have died of natural causes, or maybe someone else's careless use of pesticides.  

H-C 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,884

Everything dies. Bees have a short life, I hope it's a happy oneimage