Forum home Plants

Bedding Plants

Hi

I like to plan my garden well ahead.so any suggestion's.for easy to look after bedding plants which last well.

thanks

• B3B3 Posts: 24,450

Cosmos osteospermum pinks Californian poppies

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I don't know if Antirrhinum's (snapdragon) is counted as a bedding plant but hands down they are the easiest plant I've grown this year!  They also make great cut flowers and are seeming to flower forever!  My daughter picked some for me last week that smelled of bubblegum, amazing! 

• arneilarneil Posts: 275

Godetia , grow so easily from seeds and very colourful , personally I can't stand petunias

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

I agree with all the previous suggestions and would like to suggest mimulus. A very pretty plant that lasts throughout the summer and well into autumn. Also surfinia are a good alternative to petunias and often last longer, although they may be too similar for what you want.

Other personal favourites are marigolds and tagetes, very long lasting if you deadhead regularly and beautiful colours. Common marigolds are very long lasting and in my garden have flowered through mild winters. The last two are primulas/primroses and violas. The former will often flower almost all year round in the right conditions and as they get bigger you can divide them for more plants.

Violas are one of my absolute favourites. Such beautiful colours and patterning and long lasting if you deadhead regularly, and you can save the seeds for the future. All the plants I've mentioned have the added advantage of attracting pollinators to the garden.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.