Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Which lawn mower should I buy?

I'm currently struggling with just a strimmer so I really need to get a proper lawnmower. My garden has a slope in parts so I think this means I need a hover mower. Its about 25m long in one part and 15m wide so I think that's classed as a small garden.

I've never bothered with collecting the grass clipping before, but it would be handy when the grass is still a bit damp as the clippings can be messy then. However the mowers with grass collection boxes seem very heavy so I might go without.

Could anyone recommend one that is light and easy to use? It would be great if it could be used with or without a grass collection box. Or, would that mean it would spray all the grass out the back onto me? 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I don't think many people these days would class a garden of 80' by 50' in old money as being a 'small garden'.  If that is the lawn area it's a substantial area to cut.  Strimming or mowing, leaving the cut grass on the lawn will encourage a build up of thatch and that is detrimental to the lawn.  Once it is fully under control you can leave the cuttings as long as you cut regularly.

As for the type of mower, how severe is the slope?  Even wheeled mowers will be OK on a slight slope.

Any mower can be used without a grass box.  With rotary mowers a flap generally comes down where the grass box would be to minimise the spray but you would probably get some.  My Honda mower has a rubber 'skirt' at the back to stop that happening.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Our Flymo has a collection box.   Best of both worlds but OH does only use it to cut the side bits we can't get to with the big mower.

If your lawn surface is smooth a wheeled model would handle the slope just as well as long as it's not too steep.   

Go to a decent shop and check the weights and cutting widths of various models and ask for some advice.   Check what your neighbours use if they have a similar slope.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • ripplyripply Posts: 73

Thank you for the replies. I'm afraid a Honda is way out of my price range and they seem very heavy. The lawn isn't big at the minute, as only half the garden has grass. The other half needs renovated, though it will be mostly grass when it's done. Only part of the garden is 25m x 15m. Some of it is about 8m wide. The slope isn't steep, though I don't know the right way to describe it! It's easy to push a full wheelbarrow up and down though. 

I had been reading about grass cutting and all the advice said to leave the clippings as it feeds the grass, but it seems to be making the lawn far too thick. I'm not sure if that is thatch? It doesn't look as light and fine as the neighbours lawn. 

I think I'd prefer a rotary mower as the hover mowers seem to spray the grass everywhere and make a mess. I'm happy to leave the clippings sometimes so it's good to know they can be used without the collection box. I've seen the Flymo Chevron at a good price. Would this be suitable? 

Btw, what do people do with the grass clippings? 

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

just to put the record straight Aym280 I'm a professional gardener and I hate Honda far to slow I am and always will be a Haytor man in fact I just bought a new mower a Haytor 48 pro great machine and flys along a steal at around £1000 but for the average mower what about a Haytor spirit 41 great little mower

well that's my view or go to B & q  and spend 50 quid for a heap of rubbish  

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Like I said earlier, some Flymos have collectors.   There are mowers that will blitz the cuttings and put them back without creating too much thatch - mulching mowers.

We have the Flymo but also a sit on mower for the big lawn.  It cost about 1000 euros and doesn't have a collector because our grass is so lush and often wet that the collector would keep blocking up.   We "herd" the cuttings into one row and OH rakes them up at the end.

Grass cuttings here get composted.  Mix them with plenty of kitchen waste and other garden waste from weeding and pruning plus paper and cardboard waste and you'll get a good heap.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

Aym280 a haytor spirit 41 auto drive and rear roller is around £360 brand new great little machine.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Just to add it into the pot, we have a Toro (which is Honda engine, only cheaper, I think).  It is self propelled, so that I can use it and I whizz round the garden with it, Love it.  If only we didn't have so much moss, but that's a whole different story.  Good luck, it is a bit of a mine field with so much choice.

• J96J96 Posts: 1

Give the chainstore mowers a try!. I have an acre of long lush cornish grass on a 1 in 5 slope to manage and my b and q self propelled rotary does a good job. It's got a steel deck and is easy to start. It's just as good as more expensive makes i've tried and easy to maintain - often use you tube to find advice when i need to sharpen blades, replace drive belts etc.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

You need one with a wide cutter and large collection box (if present) so you won't have to do too many passes. I hate Flymo, I've had a couple of them, too small for my 15m by 15m back garden plus side and front. Bosch rotary mowers are good, but they tend to throw out grass in piles if you do not use the collection box. I prefer my hand mower, it's quicker as it has no cord, and it is good exercise. For me the real pain with electric mowers is the cord. I spend ages pulling it round. You could try a battery mower, or a petrol one, I think they are best, though I like my push mower which does not make too much noise, just a bit of clanking.