Forum home Wildlife gardening

new pond

hi 

i have installed a small pond and i have got three oxygenate plants 

and some marginal plants it is fulled up with rain water and the pond has been in now for about 4 weeks  the water is very clear and i can see right down to the bottom i have seen two water beetles but nothing else. what i want to ask is about algae

i can see  some in the pond and some on the plants also some on the floating plants should their be a some algae  in the pond or none at all i am very new to having a pond and so i know nothing about algae and how much is normal many thanks for any advice you can give me 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852

a small pond warms up quickly and that's when the algae grows. It's not harmful, the wildlife don't mind. Some people swear by barley straw, someone might explain how that works. I don't know. I have a large pond and still get algae.

Chemicals and filters aren't really part of a wildlife pond but it's your pond to treat as you like.image

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

I'd only worry about algae if it persists. More often than not it comes and goes very quickly and it just a symptom pf the changing balance of nutrients in your pond.