Forum home The potting shed

Greenhouse

Hi there.

M kids having grown into adults & no longer belt footballs up & down my garden, i decided to have a go at some gardening, and after taking some advice from gardening neighbours, i cut out some flower beds & a vegetable patch. 

Planted some potatoes in bags, & tomato plants as well as some flowers, and am rather enjoying myself. As long as its not too time consuming as i still work etc. 

My garden is a fair size at 100ft by around 30ft. 

Anyhow, I'm looking to purchase my first Greenhouse, which is to stand alone towards the bottom middle of my garden, but with so much choice and money is a factor i was hoping for some advice. I read the topic on Poly versus glass for an allotment, however I'm in a slightly different situation. 

I would like at least 8ft by 10ft or bigger. Budget wise lower hundreds,certainly under £500.

I'm grateful for any advice offered. 

Thanks

E

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,561

I think you'll be pushing it to find a 10 x 8 greenhouse for under £500 unless you're lucky enough to find somebody who wants to get rid of one.  Buying a cheap greenhouse will almost certainly be a false economy.  Also check that the price includes the base if buying aluminium.

• 5imon5imon Posts: 4

Hi KT53

I think your right. I notice that the polycarbs seem cheaper than the glass ones, but i don't see why, as glass is very cheap to produce?

I have looked at second hand Greenhouses too, but i wouldn't know a cheap one from a decent one?

What sort of thing should i look out for on a decent quality greeenhouse, that you don't see on the cheap ones?

Thanks

Simon

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,524

When I bought my latest greenhouse I was still restricted to space so I went from an 8x6 to and 8x8. I have a glass greenhouse and all the panels are toughened glass which makes it safe. I also wanted one with double doors so that I could get big, bulky items in. I don't have the space to manouevre a wheelbarrow in but I would think this could be a bonus for those with a big space around their greenhouse. I have power laid on to mine and I have still to install the automatic roof vents. I think it is right what the pundits say and that is however big your greenhouse is its never big enough! Mine is an Elite greenhouse which I bought as the Company is in Bolton - not a million miles from me. My brother and I built it and I enjoyed the experience but you could pay someone to build it for you.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,524

This is the greenhouse a couple of years ago

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

I bought an 8x12 greenhouse on ebay for £150. I had to dismantle it and bring it away, but it was pretty straightforward.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

try Freecycle

Devon.

Thanks Hostafan & Ladybird4 for your advice. 

That's a nice Greenhouse Ladybird ?

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I often see greenhouses advertised on my local selling page on Facebook. If you've a few fit and willing volunteers you can often get yourself a really good deal. Just recently there were some really good quality ones going free to whoever could dismantle!

Hi Clarrington

I am watching FB & eBay as we speak. 

Again thanks to all for your replies.  

Simon