Forum home The potting shed

White rabbits!

Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,500

image  image  image  image  

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197

and a Pinch and a Punch to you too, and no returns ........................ does anyone know where these customs came from ... I'd never heard of them until about 25 years ago ...?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298

My late Mother always did the pinch punch thing, even in the 50s, but apparently, it must be done before 12 noon, otherwise, you have to say "up the pole, and down the wall, you are the biggest fool of all"According to folklore, the pinch was a pinch of salt thought to keep witches at bay, which is weird because when we spilt salt, we were told it would summon the Devil, who sat behind your left arm, so you threw the salt over your shoulder, hopefully hitting him in the eyes! The punch wasnt hitting someone, but the fruit drink, it was traditional to drink to welcome in the new month.  White rabbits, - it was believed if you said this it would bring luck.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197

We did the throwing salt over our shoulder thing, to keep the devil away ...but only if we spilt salt. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,500

I have known 'pinch and a punch', 'white rabbits' and the salt over my left shoulder all my life. But has anyone heard the one about saying 'black hares' on the last day of each month. I only heard that in the last year so I'm not sure if its true or not or just an urban myth. Yes, NB, it had to be said before 12 noon. Not to give too much away ('cos in my head I'm still in my 20's) I predate the 50's.

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,582

I've always known "A pinch and a punch for the first of the month" to which the standard reply is "And a pinch and a kick for being so quick".

That's from growing up in Norfolk in the 60's and both my parents (also Norfolk) knew it from their childhoods in the 30's.

Interesting that Dove (who grew up in neighbouring Suffolk) had not heard of it while she was growing up. My OH is from W Yorks and he had no idea what I was on about when I started hitting & pinching him every month...image

Last edited: 01 August 2016 13:09:47

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

I grew up in West Sussex, as did my late parents.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,500

Well it was common in the North East where I was born and with Dad being in the RAF the family travelled all over the world and all we met on various stations knew it too. I love these old traditions and dread us losing them.

Nah, sounds like a typical Yorkshire bloke!  No gardening today, folks, the much needed rain finally arrived last night, glad I got plants in, and hoping to soften ground to plant more when it stops.