Forum home Wildlife gardening

What sort of wildlife pond?

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

At last I've got a builder arranged to come and sort out the end of my garden ready for a new g/house and wildlife area.

He's also digging out for a wildlife pond and asked if I could get a fibre glass pond as the paving that will be close to the pond can be made more secure.
I was thinking of a pond around 6-7ft x 4-5ft x 2ft max with plenty of shelves and a slope to allow beasties to get in and out.

All the glass fibre ones seem to be for fish as they have no sloping entry point.

I'm having trouble finding something suitable on-line that has a sloping side.

Have any of you knowledgeable folk seen such a thing?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

tell your builder you want a flexible liner so you can have the shape you want. 

It's your pond, not the builder's

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,455

I agree with nutcutlet. Butyl rubber is probably the best and most expensive but there are excellent PVC alternatives.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

Thanks nut - in normal circumstances I'd have said that, but I can understand his reasoning.
    He's happy to accommodate a liner, but there's good reason that glass fibre would be preferable.

If I can't source the right sort of thing in g/f then I'll use butyl.

I just wondered if a suitable g/f pond was available.

And thanks Lb too (I've settled down now) image a bit

Last edited: 31 July 2016 20:57:04

Tee hee!

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328

I'd imagine the digging out is harder for a rigid liner as it has to be the exact shape of the liner, but if the builder's genuine about support for a pathway, sounds like you'll have to go that way.  However, think you'd be able to use sand (washed to get rid of anything poisonous!) to create slopes, and put pebbles in to cover the sand if you wanted.

Hope helps,  Rob

Have you tried here Pete?

http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Aquatics/Atlantis_Glass_Fibre_Ponds/

I think you could place a log or stone strategically to help the creatures out from one of the planting shelves.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I looked at the ones at gardensite - they're ok, but there's no sloping slide. If I just pour gravel in to make a slope, gravity will win over and it'll all be at the bottom.

I'll keep scratching for the moment..

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I have a fibreglass fish pond and I'm afraid I really can't think of how you'd make for a nice easy access.

However I'm also sat by said pond watching the frogs bathing amongst the aqua mint so rest assured; they'll find a way. Incidentally the birds seem quite happy to climb down the rushes and plants to get a drink and bathe off a float plant basket I have.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

On a tiny scale I had a basin of water for plunging pots and critters kept falling in. I put some stones in the corner and now they can climb out. Maybe you could scale it up and stack a few large (really large) rocks at one end.

I tried to photograph it just now but all I can get is a reflection of myself photographing a basin! image

Thanks Claringdon. I agree, I have a main pond near the house which is a delight. Love to watch the birds bathing under the waterfall and creatures skating and swimming around.

But I think pp has hit the nail on the head. I was thinking along similar lines (stacked plants in big pots), but hadn't thought of some BIG rocks at one end to provide access.

I think you've cracked it pp and thank you very much!

I'll have a pump with a very low output just to get a little trickle of water somewhere and a rocky beach leading into the pond as pp suggested.

I want it to be a good depth too, so going to get his one