Forum home The potting shed

I need help!

Hi, my name is Laura and I'm addicted to buying plants!!! Anybody else have the same problem? Please make me feel better!

I've just been to the garden centre and bought 2 huge black bamboos which were reduced from £60 to £15 so I had to get 2... and a star jasmine which is about 8 foot tall for £15.. I also got a black lace sambucas and a lambs tongue for a £1! Couldn't resist the super soft leaves...and the fact it was a £1...  it's a good job they were closing otherwise we wouldn't have fit in the car!!

I bought some more plants last week and I've only just come back from tatton flower show where I spent a small fortune..

I'm not going to visit another garden centre for at least a month.....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best

This was posted by Steephill a while back and we're all still laughing.

My name is plant pauper...you can guess the rest. image

Rats, the link must be out of date. Anyway it seems the average spend per annum of the British gardener is £47.

Last edited: 31 July 2016 18:48:16

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Hi Laura, best thing to do is never go to gc or to shows.image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,711

Average spend is £47 - no way! I can spend that in a month. My Mother - God rest her soul - used to go mad at me as I am a perpetual rescuer of poorly supermarket plants. When they have put all that effort into growing and then they are left to languish, waterless and battered by customers trolleys well I mean, what can one do but rescue them!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,388

Supposedly you learn as you get older - gardeners seem to be an exception.

You still buy plants which you do not have room for, do not have suitable conditions for and, basically, you should never have even considered.

Who keeps strictly to the criteria........not meimage

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,143

In my head my garden is huge and can take all the plants I buy......in reality image

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings