Mother in law tongue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
The user and all related content has been deleted.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,241

HH - a diagonal cut at the top and a straight cut at the base makes life a bit easierimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,432

Mine just grow and grow  - I keep them bone dry in the winter and water probably about once a month in the summer. Most of the time they're above a radiator in a west-facing window. I put them outside in the semi-shade to get rained on for a few days in the summer.  They flower from time to time.  

I shall have to split my big one soon - the pot it's in is so mishapen as it's forcing it's way out of the pot.

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 769

I think all houseplants like a bit of time outside (summer usually) if the conditions are right. It is a bit like giving them a holiday to get fresh air etc. around their leaves.

Last edited: 31 July 2016 10:35:28

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 11,708

Dove, what depth of pot is best?  One of the carers brought me one a while ago but the leaves are now about 14 inches and not staying upright.

SW Scotland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 11,708

Having seen yours hollie hock, I realise that mine is ok but I will put it into a deeper, narrow pot.

SW Scotland