Hydrangea in trouble (I think)

Hi All,

Wondering if this is normal for a hydrangea to look like this, or weather I'm over/under watering.

I have been feeding it with tomato feed once a month, and watering every other day (though for a while it was every day).

Also, it looks like it has been attacked by pesky slugs! Could this be a symptom of that?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jamie

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,021

that sounds like a lot of water to me. 

• Yeah, I wondered that. I live on the south coast and have clay soil in a south facing garden. Do you think watering once a week is sufficient?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,301

If it's established, it really shouldn't need watering unless it's visibly wilting, and if it's doing that on a regular basis, it needs to be somewhere more shady. South facing isn't the best aspect for them unless they have shade from something else nearby.

They're shade loving plants, although they cope well enough with sun if the soil's right. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,021

I wouldn't let it dry out, especially if it's newly planted, but otherwise I'd leave it alone

• Ok, thanks both! Really helpful. I'll start watering only when required as opposed to regularly.