Forum home Problem solving

My lilac tree has developed razor type cuts on the edge of its leaves ??

The whole of the bush.  The leaves have cuts around the edge of all leaves. What is the problem and how do I solve it.  It is a ver established bush and flowers with abundance every year. Thanks 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,225

Is it possible you could upload a picture to help in identifying the problem?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Leaf cutter bee's? Picture please 

Leaf cutter bees make perfect little circles round the edges of leaves so I'm not sure that they are the culprits if these look like razor cuts. image

Bit like this:

• This is exactly this

how do I deal with it? 

You don't need to do anything. The bees have just taken those for their nests and whilst it looks odd it will not harm your plant. When you described the damage as cuts I imagined they were slashes in the leaves so hats off to Mark who got it right. image

Last edited: 30 July 2016 16:59:48

• So I dont need to do anything thNk you so much I will also tell my neighbour who has also been infested !! 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Hehe image It will stop within the next month Redrollerskate, they are only active April-August. They use the leaves for their larvae nests.

• Thanks for this taken note will not worry next time I see my lilac tree looking like a paper doyley!! 

This was the start of my leaf cutter bee's nesting last year - roses were the target in my garden. Not a brilliant picture but you can see the 'capping' of the larval tubes. eventually most were filled.

Last edited: 31 July 2016 12:51:02