Odd shaped raspberries

LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,379

Hi folks,

This is the first year I've had this problem.  A significant number of raspberries have grown like this; often one side ripens before the other.

And while I'm on - do any of you have a "magic bullet" (not keen on using chemicals on things I eat, mind) to deal with raspberry beetle larvae, those delightful maggotty things infesting lots of my lovely fruit?

Thanks in advance image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622

You can get a raspberry beetle pheromone trap.I've never used it. The beetles don't seem to bother the later ones like Polka.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,379

Ooh, thanks Fidget - I'll look into that one.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,625

The fruit problem looks like some kind of fasciation. There seems to have have been a lot of it about this year, judging by the number of queries on here and some home grown examples. Maybe the fault of the weird stop/start weather we've had?

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,379

Thanks, Buttercupdays - sounds plausible.  Perhaps it won't happen next year...  image