Will this tanacetum flower?

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 951

I bought a tanacetum Robinson's red and two hesperis violet  (two plants at back of photo) couple of months ago. At first I thought they had died when I planted them but they seem to be perking up.

Do you think they will flower this year? Nothing much has happened with them at all..

.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,021

the hesperis are biennial and will flower next year

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 951

Thank you nutcutlet, that's really helpful because I would have been waiting and wondering!

I don't even know anything about these plants, just thought they were cheap, had a pretty picture and they said perennials. I don't know if I should have put the hesperis at the back like that. Also the tanacetum to me looks like some sort of herb and it's very sprawling. I was expecting a red daisy type flower by now. Maybe that biennial too

the hesperis is quite tall, lovely scent. Back of border is fine, 

Tanacetum is perennial but I don't grow it and don't know flowering time

Oh okay thanks. Also I bought two of the hesperis - breaking the rule of planting in odd numbers because it looks more natural. I have done this a lot without realising this year - lots of twos of things like dahlia varieties, coreopsis, bellflowers and now the hesperis. I don't actually think it looks odd but I've broken the rule lol. Hopefully it will all bush out and not look unnatural lol.

So many plants haven't flowered yet for me. I presume it's the constant rain and lack of sun where I am. Is anyone else still waiting for stuff to flower?

I hope there are still flowers to come wakeshine. image

I don't worry about rules. If I'm buying it's in ones, too expensive otherwise, then I divide or grow from seed to increase numbers. the thing about perennials is you can move them around if you don't like your first choice of position.

I should have just bought 1 in hindsight

When is the best time to move such perrenials? I need to move a fuschia Genii

I think I'd move a fuchsia in spring as it wakes up for the season. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

thanks nutcutlet, thanks holliehock. I have to be patient...