Forum home The potting shed

TV / Radio Presenter

I have for some time been working at various high profile and very large gardens as the sole gardener and in fact I have just started a new contract working for a really lovely couple who have in formed me that in the last 35 years I am most definitely the most professional gardener they have ever had.

I have to say my head has been slightly swollen since lol! on a serious note I would love to share my knowledge and experience with others using the TV or radio as my portal how can I become the next Monty Don.

It's hard work and after every day I go home completely exhausted but for some strange reason I love it and look forward to feeling just the same the following day any one got any ideas how I should go about it any help given would be greatly welcome.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,485
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,720

My 'Agony Aunt' reply is that you should think about what truly drives you and rewards you.

Do you want to show your expertise or share it? Have you considered teaching and mentoring others in more informal/local ways? Do you want to keep doing what you do everyday or move direction - accepting that change may bring losses and gains? 

Good luck on your path...

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,010

What about one of those you tube blog things?.  You could spread your knowledge and, if it was successful, it would be a springboard to tv or whatever. In the meantime you may find it useful to get yourself a couple of dogs or perhaps cats if you want to set a new trend in gardening. 

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Being in the public eye would lead to constant criticism. I don't think you'd like that. You only have to read through a few of the GW/Monty Don/ANotherTVprogramme threads to see how it would be.There are people waiting to pounce on any error or defect in appearance.image 

Geoff Hamilton is revered now but only because he's dead. He was well criticised in his time. 

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 457

If you want to share your knowledge I was wondering if you could   write for a local paper. They often have gardening columns.image

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

Thanks for all the reply so great advice 

I already have 3 English springers so I'm clearly well on my way.

What about a sudinym

Thought for a name L. Ps gardening advice 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I would just use my first name if I was you. It's not very common and would stick in peoples' minds. image

I think we're getting "cart before horse" here! image