Help! Garden re-design, bind weed and turfing!

Hello, we're new to serious gardening...

We bought a house with a garden that has seen little love over the past few years and we are about to start our re-design.

Unfortunarely we seem to have rather a lot of bindweed that I cant seem to get rid of, I started with one bed that I turned over and planted. Of course the bindweed roots got broken up into tiny pieces and now are coming up throughout the newly planted bed :( 

We are now about to start the process of digging our garden over (there are two lawns at slightly different heights and two beds which have bindweed roots in them. We want to turf the whole lot but how do I stop the bindweed coming up through the new lawn?

I would really appriciate any help or advice with landscaping! Thank you

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,865

Kill the bindweed before you spend lots of money on your turf. Use a herbicide like glyphosate and paint it onto the leaves. Now is a good time to use this treatment.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • lisacslisacs Posts: 2

thank you! The problem is a lot of the bond weed hasn't got leaves it's just the roots in the soil waiting for the perfect moment to pop their heads up, is there some sort of liquid weedkiller i can use to kill the roots too?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,865

Unfortunately a liqud weedkiller will kill everything so not useful in a garden where you want to grow things.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,126

There isn't a weedkiller that'll work underground. You'd be best advised to wait, let the bindweed grow, then treat. Bindweed in lawns will be kept under control by regular mowing which will eventually starve it. In beds let it grow and treat as it emerges. If you have a bit of patience itll be worth it in the long run.