Forum home Problem solving

Green blob??

I found these green blobs of gooey jelly like junk on my tomato plant.  There are 4 of them fairly close together.  Is this some type of fungus?  It is not a growth from the plant.  I've looked and can find nothing like it on the internet.  Just want to know what it is and how to get rid of it.  Thanks!image

• I didn't realize this was a site mainly for "across the pond" from the US.  If you can't help ---ignore me---if you can THANK YOU.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,230

Hi gourmetalice. Yes indeed the majority of us are in the UK. The name of the site is taken from a very popular gardening programme - Gardener's World - shown on BBC TV but please don't hesitate to ask any questions you like and if we can help we most certainly will. Is the jelly like substance a part of the leaf or can it be washed away with water? If it can be washed off I have to say that my first guess would be bird poop. If it is part of the leaf then it is a mystery but I would just remove the affected leaves and destroy. Your plants should be fine.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,120

Or even caterpillar poop? Any sign of caterpillars? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,805

It doesn't look like any tomato disease. I would just wash it off, probably something that some insect, animal or bird has deposited.

I thought the name of this site was taken from Gardener's World magazine.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • It's definitely caterpillar poo(p). You'll have to get searching beause they will eventually get fed up of eating leaves and start on your tomatoes!

Last edited: 29 July 2016 10:33:45

The Gardener's World magazine - a BBC publication - was named for the programme.

Nutcracker, that would be one huge caterpillar and I cannot see any signs of caterpillar damage.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,805

Maybe it's the eggs of something.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Well it looks like caterpillar frass to me. They do get huge, especially as the caterpillars grow. They are the very devil to find, the leaves it has chewed/is hiding among would be above what you can see in the photograph, which is an enlargement of one small segment of a tomato leaf. I hope I'm wrong here gourmetalice's sake.

I so do not want to meet that caterpillar but I guess in America they could have giant ones image