Forum home Plants

What's devoured my sunflower?

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

Nature eh!! Just went out and to my horror a big chunk of the centre part of one of my sunflowers has been completely devoured. Right into the middle - like when a cake has a slice missing!! It is quite grotesque. I haven't put photo up as I don't want to gross anyone out!! The only things I have seen on the sunflowers since they have opened up is bees. Bees don't do that kind of damage do they??

Also shall I just cut of the head? I don't think the seeds will develop now..?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,886

Is this a giant sunflower or a smaller variety? My suspects would be either mice or rats. If all the central disc has gone then maybe seeds will not be produced.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491

Lots of birds will eat the immature seeds - that's partly what I grow sunflowers for.

Go on, show us a picture ... I'm sure we've seen worse ... we're not that squeamish image

Don't cut the head off - if it's as I imagine I'm sure  the rest of the seeds will develop normally ... unless eaten. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dovefromabove says:

Lots of birds will eat the immature seeds - that's partly what I grow sunflowers for. Squirrels will also eat the flowers and seedheads. 

Go on, show us a picture ... I'm sure we've seen worse ... we're not that squeamish image

Don't cut the head off - if it's as I imagine I'm sure  the rest of the seeds will develop normally ... unless eaten. 

See original post

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

I don't know, I think it was Unwin's oranges and lemons variety, which they said can grow to 4m. It's pretty big but not as big as American Giant.

If it were mice/rats would this have happened at night? Because I'm sure this happened during the day as I didn't notice it first thing when I went out this morning before work. Then at around 6pm I saw it so thought it was during the day. But I could have overlooked it....There is a squirrel that visits, but I put nuts out for him/her earlier.Could it have been the squirrel and would they go that far into the centre?

Shall I post the photo? Just don't want to scare anyone.

Okay here u go:

As compared to intact one:

Closeups:

imageimageimageimage

I don't think you are going to scare anybody image Seeing the sunflower might help. It could very possibly have been your squirrel!

Thats not scary! 99.99% its the squirrel

Okay I was very freaked out by it and felt rather nauseous after seeing this. I don't know why. I think I just never expected it to happen and I am squeamish.

I have never noticed the squirrels being so aggressive, except maybe on the birdfeeder when I put out nyger seeds but that was last year!! Also I am very shocked because don't squirrels wait for the ripe seeds? Could it be pigeons? They are definitely creating mess in the garden these days?

Anyway - will they do this to all the sunflowers? Shall I cut off the head or leave it? I know it's nature but I don't want to see this every time I enter the garden.

Whoops! Sorry, I've somehow quoted myself image

It's okay to quote yourself, it makes what you're saying even clearer lol