Forum home The potting shed

Visiting Woottens?

Great online ordering site (as recommended by several people on this forum), but as I'm currently holidaying in Norfolk and popping down to Southwold tomorrow I thought I could take an hour out while the kids were on the beach and go to visit.

Looking on the website seems you can't go as they don't have a retail presence - does anyone know otherwise?  Or if not (shame) - are there any other good nurseries I could go to in the area?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

http://www.norfolknurseries.net/

West Acre gardens and nursery is really great. I have a lot of their plants.

I thought Woottens was open to the public though I've never been and maybe confusing it with somewhere else

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

just had a look, monthly open days through the summer now. It was open daily in the past

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,535

Oh flamin' 'eck ... It must be my fault image  look what's happened since Ma died in April and I've not been driving down to Southwold at least once a week ............... they must really miss me image

Andy - if you've not been to Southwold before, don't forget to drive over the Common, past the water towers and go down to the harbour for fish and chips available from several fishermen's huts etc along the harbour (betweensthe Harbour Inn and the sea). 

Or, as it's the holidays, you can park at the harbour mouth near the lifeboat museum and walk inland along the harbour, through the boatyards etc to get your fish and chips.  

And you can gaze across the river to Walberswick and the former fishermens net lofts which became artists studios in the first half of the 20C and are now the holiday homes of the rich and famous, Richard Curtis, Emma Freud et al.  

Enjoy! image

Last edited: 27 July 2016 14:52:45

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847

Crumbs! This is very sad news image

Always visited Woottens whenever we went to Southwold and don't think I've ever left without buying plants. Lovely, knowledgable staff and excellent quality plants. Their Plantsman's Handbooks are a pleasure to read. Boo hooimage

Don't know if this helps but here are a few nurseries in Suffolk

http://www.suffolkplaces.com/best-nurseries-in-suffolk/

- some of them are not too far from Southwold. I can recommend the Place for Plants (but a bit of a drive and maybe not great at this time of year unless the gardens are open too). A friend has been to the ones at Dunwich and Darsham & enjoyed those (although she might have been talking about cake rather than plants!).

Enjoy Southwold - stroll along the pier, local ice cream, pint of Adnams and chish & fips - perfecto.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

Sounds lovely, hope the weather holds up :-). 

We'll I'm very close to Southwold at the moment and it's warm and dry with a light breeze. Perfect image

Last edited: 28 July 2016 12:26:27

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Lunch of Cromer crab at the Harbour Inn after a couple of hours on the beach.  Lovely ?

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847

Adnams? image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

Topbird - would have been rude not to ?. Just the one Ghost Ship but very satisfying.