Potato Plants What's Wrong?

Hi Everyone

I'm new to veggie growing and would love if anyone had any advice/answers as to what may be wrong with my maincrop potato plants. They are King Edwards and about the 12 week mark now. Recently harvested earlies that were absolutely fine :) This is the first time we've grown potatoes and I dug the plot out myself last year and prepped the soil etc.

Pulled a couple of potatoes from one of the plants to see if I could see anything on the tubers themselves but they look fine, though pinky bits on the skin which I think is to do with water log?? We have had so much rain this summer where I am plus it has been warm and humid.

I've read about blight and fungal diseases but being a novice I just don't know, also not sure if it's something minor or if the entire crop will be ruined image

Thanks in advance for any help :)

imageimage

imageimage

• Stuart RStuart R Posts: 42

Hi Wendy,

You don't have anything to worry about. The 'pinky' bits on your potatoes are characteristic of King Edward's, completely normal!  Your plants look fine, the top growth looks good and healthy. As for the yellowing leaves on the bottom, that's simply the plants getting older. Your plants are putting most of their resources into producing tubers at this point, those leaves are the oldest and therefore not worth maintaining (from the plants point of view)..

I don't see any sign of disease or blight :) I hope you enjoy a bountiful harvest of King Edwards soon!

Cheers

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,634
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wendy162wendy162 Posts: 2

Hi Stuart

Thanks so much for your reply, and glad to know nothing looks amiss! Obviously I jumped the gun a tad :)

And thanks Dovefromabove for your point...first timer angst here I think!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,634

Wendy imageprobably not a lot different to 'old timer angst' .......... you'd be surprised how much those of us who've been growing things for years worry about our plants image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh