Linnets

Mum linnet laid her fourth egg. That's the second brood started, but she's moved house. First brood in a six foot potted yew tree, this one in a new nest, in another yew.  Dad singing proudly from top of nearby tree

H-C

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

YOU LUCKY THING. DESPITE HAVING BEEN INTERESTED IN BIRDS SINCE I WAS KNEE HIGH TO A GRASSHOPPER I HAVE NEVER SEEN A LINNET.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I've not seen them since I was in my teens and they've declined by about 50% in the last 30 years, so I was very pleased indeed.  Males used to be kept (like many others), as caged songbirds.

H-C 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I had a couple here last year but no sign this year. I'd never seen them before...had to look them up in my Observer's Book of Birds. 

• ShepsSheps Posts: 827

Had a pair visiting the garden earlier this year, first time ever as far as I can remember. 

The male would come down first and feed for a while, then he would call down the female.

Sheps...image

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Linnets are fairly common but red listed in the UK.  Lucky you to have a pair nesting in your garden Hortum!  Lots of info here about Linnets:

http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob16600.htm

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,096

How nice to have some good news for a change....no Linnets hereabouts so well done you Hortumimage