Do you remember?

Do you remember when life was a lot simpler and we coped with hot weather by getting out the old bathtub or going fishing?imageimage

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

I love the optimism of the swimming cap! image Bless! Complete with strap under chin in case a big wave comes!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,877

Oh my goodness yes. Summers seemed to be much longer in those days. The rope swing over the local stream, the endless rambling through the countryside with a sandwich for lunch, paddling in aforementioned stream and catching freshwater shrimps - just to let them go again once we had watched their sideways swimming in the jam jar. Good times.

Last edited: 26 July 2016 20:30:47

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,227

You will notice I am up to my neck in it as usual.image Always a water baby.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Can you still fold up that small Fidg?

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I remember those and had one; sunsuits we called them.

I think they were pre war, or 50's at best. We were at my nans along with three of my cousins and they got dragged out of a drawer.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,153

imagehappy days!  Those ruched elasticated swimsuits were hideous but all we gals had one, didn't we?  No other choice!

Our neighbours put a tin bath full of water out in the street for the kids to play in, but my ma wouldn't let me join in...I think she thought I might catch 'something' from them.  I was so jealous!image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    PLEASE DON'T 'LIKE' ME.  I HAVE NO WISH TO BE 'LIKED'
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 322

We used to fish for sticklebacks in the local brook. Many happy hours spent with a fishing net and a jam jar on a piece of string! Of course you had to dam up the brook first to get a good deep pool. As long as you didn't get a "booter" (a welly full of water), you were all right.

imageI take up a bit more room these days, but still up to my neck in it.

I spent my formative years swimming in the sub zero waters of Lough Erne. When I went to a swimming pool with school I thought I would die of heat stroke! I still find indoor pools intolerably warm. Can't see me leaping into Lough Erne either though. image