Do you remember?

fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,168

Do you remember when life was a lot simpler and we coped with hot weather by getting out the old bathtub or going fishing?imageimage

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,223

I love the optimism of the swimming cap! image Bless! Complete with strap under chin in case a big wave comes!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,161

Oh my goodness yes. Summers seemed to be much longer in those days. The rope swing over the local stream, the endless rambling through the countryside with a sandwich for lunch, paddling in aforementioned stream and catching freshwater shrimps - just to let them go again once we had watched their sideways swimming in the jam jar. Good times.

Last edited: 26 July 2016 20:30:47

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,168

You will notice I am up to my neck in it as usual.image Always a water baby.image

Can you still fold up that small Fidg?

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 863

I remember those and had one; sunsuits we called them.

I think they were pre war, or 50's at best. We were at my nans along with three of my cousins and they got dragged out of a drawer.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 11,454

imagehappy days!  Those ruched elasticated swimsuits were hideous but all we gals had one, didn't we?  No other choice!

Our neighbours put a tin bath full of water out in the street for the kids to play in, but my ma wouldn't let me join in...I think she thought I might catch 'something' from them.  I was so jealous!image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 320

We used to fish for sticklebacks in the local brook. Many happy hours spent with a fishing net and a jam jar on a piece of string! Of course you had to dam up the brook first to get a good deep pool. As long as you didn't get a "booter" (a welly full of water), you were all right.

imageI take up a bit more room these days, but still up to my neck in it.

I spent my formative years swimming in the sub zero waters of Lough Erne. When I went to a swimming pool with school I thought I would die of heat stroke! I still find indoor pools intolerably warm. Can't see me leaping into Lough Erne either though. image