Forum home Plants

Sunflower with buds growing on stem

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

One of my sunflowers seems to have multiple heads growing all up the stem length! Is this normal? Was it a rogue seed?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,753

Can you upload a picture please? It may be another case of fasciation.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

Okay just trying to upload.. Phone not allowing me at the moment!

imageimageimage

I don't know if you can see this properly. At the leaf nodes, there are new growths and whata appear to be flower buds. On packet it said this was a single giant sunflower.

I meant to say, I have other ones growing from the same packet but this is the biggest, and the only one that has new growths at every leaf node. I was already worried it may fall over with the weight, but if it now is going to have loads of extra flowers, it will be even heavier.

• daisy doodaisy doo Posts: 90

Hi there,

Its a multi branching variety meaning youll get loads of extra flowers apposed to just a single flower. You could always stake it to give it extra support. Otherwise enjoy loads of flowers and you could maybe use some for cut flowers 

Thanks Daisy Doo. Has this happened by accident? Or do you think the seed was an odd one in the mix?

I'll need to get some extra stakes..

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

It could be that the growing point was damaged at some time.............

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    hogweed says:

It could be that the growing point was damaged at some time.............

See original post

All the growing points? I just counted and there are around 20 of these bud growths! This will be a crazy sunflower. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,753

A single giant sunflower might just be referring to the fact that the flowers are 'single' as opposed to 'double'. I am only guessing that that might be an answer though. Its pretty stupendous! image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • daisy doodaisy doo Posts: 90

Probably a rogue seed. But that means loads of cheery sunflowers for ages, cut flowers and bird seed