Figs

I have a fig tree in a container that is 10 yrs old and we dont get any fruit. We hot 1 fig about 3 yrs ago but since then Zilch. Any suggestions I have looked in my libary at home and each branch only has 5 leaves as discribed in book.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Can you post a picture of your fig tree?

If it is a normal fig it should produce fruits on a regular basis.

• UzzyUzzy Posts: 15

I have tried but the image is too big will try and sort it out and post pictures

• UzzyUzzy Posts: 15

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,517

I know we are told to keep fig roots confined but I think you're treating yours a bit too harshly. Mine is four years old and is in a pot of JI Mo 3 soil based compost with added grit. The pot is 20" x 20" x20" and is in a sunny corner on a south facing terrace. it gets watered at least twice a week and this weather it has two gallons of water every day. It gets a watering can full of dilute tomato feed every week from the time it starts into growth until the leaves drop in the autumn. imageYours

Yours looks in need of a bit of tlc. 

Put it in a bigger pot and make a fuss of it, then stand well back ...image

Last edited: 26 July 2016 17:11:29

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Oh, don't know where that surplus 'Yours' came from in between the photos - they're both photos of my four year old fig tree.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,236

My fig tree is now 3 years old, planted in the ground against a wall and hasn't had fruit since I bought it when it had 3 figs. A lot of fig trees here in France are planted in the ground and have loads of fruit, my son's did and he never fed or watered his. Mine is now 2 - 3 times the size of both yours.

Last edited: 26 July 2016 17:26:00

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,079

We had 2 enormous Fig trees when in France.......the biggest problem was keeping up with the fruit producedimage

The Fig I have here in SW UK is at least 50 years old, in the ground and produces fruit every year - the Starlings are a good sign that the top most fruit ( way above my head ) is beginning to ripen.  Then it is a daily battle between them and meimage

Mine would be bigger if left to it's own devices BL, but it's had some hard pruning - we don't have the space that you have image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,236

I'm not very good at pruning image Do you think pruning helps figs to fruit and how much and when do you do it?

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,079

BL - yes, pruning them correctly will help to produce fruit.  Fan trained against a wall or similar structure is often the most popular method - particularly in the UK climate.

The RHS Garden Encyclopaedia has quite a good explanatory description of how to do this correctly.