Forum home The potting shed

Goodbye ugly concrete

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Today I am having all this ugly concrete dug up and the front garden done. There will be a small area of permeable brick paving for our motorbikes and a big raised bed for flowers or whatever.

I am very excited indeed. We excavated the slope someone had built out of earth up to the front door for a wheelchair and had to bury all the exposed pipes - tons of earth had to be taken away and finally landscaping day has arrived.

At last we will not have to Fosbury flop into the house any more - the top step was missing when we dug it all up and they are building new steps for us.

I think it's going to take the best part of a week.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

An exciting week ahead Lou so hope the weather stays fine for the work to be done.

The best bit will be the new planting image

SW Scotland
  • Missy KrissyMissy Krissy Posts: 249

Ooooh how exciting!  Keep us updated with progress pics! image

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I certainly will image I'm very excited about the new planting but it's going to be a big planting area so I'm going to do most of it bare root in winter to save money.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Eeee it's been a while since I saw that front garden and it's improved even since then. I hope the picture in real life matches the one in your head Lou. It'll be lovely! image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

That's exciting, Lou12. I'm all for getting rid of hard landscaping.Did,nt know what was a fosbury flop was so I googled it.image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

This is great news Lou. I remember seeing pictures of the "lovely porch" the previous owners left you with. image

I can see how hard you've worked to get to this stage shown above, well done shifting all the ****. Your new driveway and flowerbeds wiil be the well deserved 'icing on the cake' image image

Previously at our house, When you look at it and think, "Why did I buy this house?" image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

The challenge and the potential. . . . image  Now it's happening!!

SW Scotland

There are millions of flying ants and an enormous ants nest under that concrete several feet across. I don't envy the workmen image

Yes Kitty2 that half shed stuck on the front as a porch, that truly was something else. Sadly I'll have to withdraw from the gallery of shame after this image