and snail explosion.

after a shaky start I noticed loads of cracked open snail

shells on my lawns etc, then one night saw a Hedgehog

doing the rounds.

After this sighting the damage subsided greatly but now I am

happy to report he has got a friend,so now I am one happy

gardener.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,107

Have you noticed any Thrushes in your garden GJohn ?

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Great news. I combine them with blackbirds who also eat slugs + frogs + slow worms.

• Yes I do. have Thrushes and Blackbirds and have seen them enjoying a good meal.

I try to encourage wildlife into the garden as much as possible.

I also have frogs and toads around the pond so every little bit helps.

I do love a tidy garden in the main but do leave messy bits also it stops me using chemicals.

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 950

Oh I didn't know blackbird ate slugs. What happens if the slugs have died from pellets? Would blackbirds eat those and is this safe for blackbird? The reason I ask is because I saw some dead slugs one day after putting pellets (sorry!!).  I didn't put the dead slugs in the bin and the next day they have disappeared so I am wondering what ate them.

Am not lucky enough to have hedgehogs, all garden is enclosed :-(

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    wakeshine says:

Oh I didn't know blackbird ate slugs. What happens if the slugs have died from pellets? Would blackbirds eat those and is this safe for blackbird? The reason I ask is because I saw some dead slugs one day after putting pellets (sorry!!).  I didn't put the dead slugs in the bin and the next day they have disappeared so I am wondering what ate them.

Am not lucky enough to have hedgehogs, all garden is enclosed :-(

See original post

Ouch, probably wasn't a pleasant end for the bird as it's essentially poison image I know it's all to easy to give up and use a few pellets - I've done so myself in the past but I found wildlife was a lot more effective at clearing them up - I've had hardly any casualties since Spring. You could talk to your neighbours and create a 5" highway for the hedgehogs to pass through :) http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/link-your-garden.html

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 950

I will make sure I pick up the dead slugs in future, thank you. My neighbours aren't into plants or wildlife..they have totally barran gardens. :-(

• Hi Wakeshine I did not say the birds ate slugs I recon the Hedgehogs did that but it was mentioned

that birds can crack snail shells also.

My garden though has access so they can come and go but I suspect they may have settled

in for a while.My neighbours on the whole are quite keen gardeners so we all help one another

which makes for a pleasant life but I realise not everyone is so fortunate.