Casualties of this years slug explosion....

Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

This post is not looking for advice or sympathy.

Just wanted to share some snaps with others under attack from garden pests, and let you know "you are not alone"

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,259

imageimage

Most of my casualties have been laid to rest in the compost bin... but the savaged Hosta has cheerfully flowered despite the barrage of slugs and snails. The Heucherella has had a couple of munches plus got sun-burn during the heatwave!

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Well I have to say you have certainly made me feel better about the destruction caused by the slugs in my garden too! 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,982

I have lost the most beautiful delphinium to slugs.  image  Can't show a picture of the devastation as nothing is left but here is a picture of it last year.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,259

Gorgeous cottage-style planting Yviestevie. I would absolutely love that look in my garden but the slugs have ruined that dream. I did manage to rescue a lupin and delphinium by re-potting and putting high up on my potting bench but would prefer them to be in the border. I am just 'saving' a slugged Centaurea in the same way and it's coming on well.

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

I have to say that despite scoffing most of the leaves on my dwarf sunflowers (pic 1)and covering them with a silver sheen, the flower buds are still intact. All is not lost image

Photo 3 is supposed to be an aster image

Surprisingly they haven't touched the hostas. 

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi my trouble with slugs snails catterpillars eaten and striped most inners pulled out 6 cabbages 4 sprouts and  the snails have been eaten the stems on shallots so have pulled all pickling onions out  will get 2or 3 big jars out of them . would have liked to let them yellow and topple over the proper way .good thing I suppose I now have room in raised bed  for callabrease will take about 25 plants   //off upstairs now my 3 grand children are playing mine craft against each other and they are a BIT NOISY  but we love them        Michael image

• This is my first go at gardening. After digging up overgrown grass and weeds in the clayiness,adding farmyard manure from the local garden centre, and grit sand to try and lighten the clay, I planted public. More than half have been completely destroyed by snails and slugs. I'm heart broken and afraid of losing my enthusiasm by being overwhelmed with work still to do. If slug resistant public is eaten up, where do I go from here?  Help!!

• The Word was PHLOX!!!

Ah.. the wonders of autocorrect Joan, thank goodness you're growing phlox and not the infamous nasturtiums image

I'm glad I've cheered some of you up with my slug buffet, it can be terribly disheartening look at pictures of gardening perfection on other threads whilst wondering "WHY ME???"as you compare them with your own disasters.  Hopefully you can look at mine and think " Thank goodness mine aren't that badimage  

Lantana: I'm as confused as you re the purpose of slugs image. Maybe they have a sinister master plan to drive us all insane in a bid 

for world domination.

image That was weird, my tablet went all funny. Do you think I'm under surveillance from the slug overlords?  image

I'll get my tin foil hat out image