Forum home The potting shed

Updating threads

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

So this isn't really feedback but are we supposed to start a new thread for every single small question, even if the question is related to a thread we already have posted? 

People don't seem to always check back to posts they have replied to in case the original poster had more questions relating to the original post. So are we just supposed to start new threads for everything? Also is it useful to reply to an old ID query post with photographs of seedlings? When they have flowered I thought it would be useful to others in case they had the same unrecognisable seedlings. But people don't seem to update old threads.. Just want to check I'm not bonkers!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,535

Not bonkers  image It varies, people do what they think best at the time. Some people update old posts, there was one recently where a poster came back after several months to show us the improvement in his laurel hedge after following advice received here, and asking some follow up questions. 

No rules here other than the ones in the 'code of conduct' (link at bottom of page). 

We're laid back and pretty flexible on here and do our best with whatever gardens and Gardeners present us with image

Last edited: 21 July 2016 07:21:40

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

Hmm, okay thanks. I guess most people are not going back to look at threads that they replied to. I suppose because the rate of new questions is so high, It's difficult to keep going back. The shame because questions are probably being missed.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

a thread comes back to the top if a question is posted on it, so it doesn't sink without trace. 

Yeah but I feel people just forget about things they've answered and don't think the original posters have additional questions 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

How would the updating of threads work? How would they be updated and how would it be decided which threads should be updated?

There are thousands of them on here 

Maybe I don't understand what you mean. A thread can always be revived by anyone who wants to.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,535

Sometimes I look at a thread I've posted on and a follow up query has already been responded to by someone else - if I've nothing to add to that response there's little point in me posting again on that particular thread. 

If you feel that your question hasn't been fully answered there's no harm in posting again on that thread to bump the query up to the top again.

But, if the question is significantly different to the original one it's a good idea to start a new thread with an appropriate title - sometimes we may feel that we've said all that we can say on a thread entitled 'Carrots', and if someone then tacks a question about beetroot onto the same thread it may not get answered there, whereas a thread with beetroot in the title would create more interest.  

Does that make sense?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

No sorry if I wasn't clear, Nutcutlet - I didn't mean that someone should choose to update certain threads. With reference to Dovefromabove's example, I think I was referring more to when the thread was originally about carrots and then there was another question about carrots and even the same carrots! but if the question is about beetroot, I completely agree with a new thread. Thank you both I think you have helped me to understand.