Forum home Wildlife gardening

How do I save Kermit and friends?

We have a pond on our patio which is being removed in late August (I know I know, it's good to have ponds but unfortunately this one is causing so many problems and a lot of stress so needs to go).
At the moment there are probably 4 or 5 frogs living in it as well as a couple of newts. I feel really bad about evicting the poor things from their home so I’m wondering what to do with them once it is emptied? If I let them loose at the back of the garden (there is an unused wild garden behind ours) will they find alternative accommodation themselves (I can maybe leave out some form of shallow water container for a while if that would help)? Or can I take them to a local pond somewhere  - I’m not sure if that is allowed?
Even though there are lots of reasons the pond needs to go I have grown fond of the frogs and can’t bear the thought of them wandering about lonely and homeless, so any ideas how I can help them much appreciated… :(
Thank you

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,246

The frogs and newts will be fine if you release them at the bottom of your garden where they can get into the wild area behind your house. It may be an idea to empty the pond completely before late August so that they can search out somewhere to hibernate in the winter.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,107

You could contact your local wildlife trust......they will be able to advise you on the best way to go about things with a clear conscienceimage

• HumbleBeeHumbleBee Posts: 75

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions. Good point about emptying the pond before end August to give them good time to find somewhere else to hibernate. I also managed to find the contact details for my local wildlife trust (I didn't know I had one so I learn something new every day!) and see what they advise. Kermit and friends will hopefully live happily on to eat lots of slugs from a new home! :) 

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 169

Hi Humblebee - if it's got to go, it's got to go!

I'm confused about frogs, which a lot of people think live in water and a lot of people say don't, apart from breeding. 

In my experience, I'd probably plump for it being a personal choice on the part of the frog!  In my garden, some seem to live in the pond, some in long grass at the bottom of the garden, between plant pots etc.  If my theory is correct, and you want them to stay around the garden, you've got water-lovers and it may be worth putting a couple of your shallow water containers out, hidden behind plants (or perhaps buried) so they can take their choice of braving it on land or transplanting themselves into a new watery haven.  Here's what tends to happen in my garden - it's either an old wok or a kids' seaside bucket:

The duckweed helps I think, as they're able to nip down underneath if anything approaches.

If you're not bothered about having them around, just release them at the bottom of the garden I reckon - they'll sort themselves out!

Hope helps, Rob

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Your frogs will be fine. Frogs tend not to live in ponds, but on land and once a year will return (normally to the pond from which they emerged as froglets) to spawn. Frogs have to live with the succession of native ponds all the time and are quite adept at finding new ponds when their familiar ponds fall victim to the natural process that occurs when ponds transform into bogs and then into woodland / wetlands over time. It is said that a frog can smell duckweed from up to a kilometer away (not sure whether this is proven or part of frog mythology, but in any case they have an uncanny knack of seeking out a new pond). 

If one of your neighbours has a pond you could transfer them but generally this is not recommended due to concerns around the spread of citrid and ranavirus. Better let nature take its course and leave the frogs to find their own way to a new spawning site. Also remember that frogs are remarkably unfussy when it comes to breeding and will use birdbaths and puddles if necessary. How about leaving a water-filled container out for them in spring. That way you may get to keep them without all the hassle of pond maintenance.

HH

Last edited: 26 July 2016 11:18:01

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 169

Sorry to hijack the thread Humblebee, but a Q for HH:

Everyone seems to say that frogs tend to live on land (which may of course be right, even given my question) but don't you find that certain frogs live in water full-stop, at least during the day?  In the pond, there's always a frog near my iris, one under the watercress and one near the marsh marigolds, and I presume it's the same one in each case.  Of the ones I see regularly, perhaps 75% live in water, though I appreciate they're perhaps easier to see than the ones hiding under plant pots, in long grass, under the shed etc.

Welcome your thoughts - have I got a set of frog weirdos?!

• HumbleBeeHumbleBee Posts: 75

Thanks Rob and THH - well I do seem to have frogs everywhere - some of them look like they spend all their time in the pond but I find others living at the back of the garden by the shed, hiding under rocks or near something slightly wet - e.g. under a bit of tarpaulin catching rain. That said, I also have a long very dry hedge area that gets baked by sun all day and they seem to be living there too in the geraniums and hop off if I get the waterhose out (you would have thought they might like a nice refreshing shower!)
    I think I'm going to get some sort of portable mini-pond (I saw one of these on Amazon) and stick it at the back of the garden so they still have somewhere they can hang out over the summer once the main pond is gone. I love having them around as my garden is literally snail/slug HQ and I need all the help I can get! And if frogs really can smell duckweed from up to a kilometre away (!) I think they'll do absolutely fine as there is a big duckpond/lake about 200metres from our house... image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

What about making them (and you) a bog garden image  There are some wonderful beautiful bog plants.  It could have a small area of standing water in it but not actually a pond ............ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

I think they'll survive okay but if you like having them in your garden you could provide somewhere sheltered- cool and damp- that will encourage them to come back.  Rotting wood is good because it also attracts insects to feed them.

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

I meant to add; we get a lot of toads visiting our garden from the pond (a former canal) at the bottom of our road (about 400m away).  I left out a mushroom tray- that I use to germinate seeds- which filled up with rainwater and was in quite a sheltered position and there's been a toad inhabiting it in the evenings for the last few weeks.  A super-mini pond!