When do shops sell primulas?

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 946

Does anyone know roughly when garden centres start to sell primroses, polyanthus and other primulas? I've had a look and can't find any. Is it too early?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,095

Normally around September. Parkers and T&M are advertisng plugs now, if you want to grow them on to flowering size.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 946

Thanks Fidgetbones. Had a look - the quantities on tboth these sites is too many - I don't want 33 or 36 plants!! Do you think I should get some seeds and try to grow some myself now for next year?

• B3B3 Posts: 4,988

Why not just wait until September and you'll be sure to get the colour you want and they will flower this year?image

In London. Keen but lazy.

Okay. Do you think that might be the case with Cowslip too (Primula veris)? I know these are not desirable plants but I love them, they are so beautiful...I had 7 in my garden and accidentally threw 4 away. Did the same with some polyanthus and primroses. Now I am really regretting. I want to get them again.

I am also after evening primrose but that will be for next year I think. I can't find it anywhere. I know it's not a primula but I just really love it. Nowhere sells it. Shall I get some seeds?

• B3B3 Posts: 4,988

Have a look around where they were. Maybe some of them self-seeded .  They won't flower until next year though.

I don't know about the evenings primrose, but don't plant too many as they seed all over the place.

In London. Keen but lazy.

Thanks B3 - I definitely pulled them out earlier this year and I think I discarded them. I should have just planted them elsewhere or into a pot.

I would be so happy if evening primrose self seeds everywhere - I saw it at a wildlife garden recently mixed in with teasels and it looked so amazing! Really tall and pretty...

I wonder if they are easy to grow from seed. I don't have a greenhouse...

• I've just purchased some today on the 2 for £3 offer from Morrisons.

• Alan Clark2Alan Clark2 Posts: 607

Cowslips will be widely available from garden centres in Spring when they start flowering.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I wish we lived closer, wakeshine - I have a massive problem with cowslips seeding into a gravel drive!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,043

gravel drives make very good seed beds don't they Alina.

I'm always pricking out from the driveimage

Also perfect for foxgloves and bluebells, nutcutlet :D

And cyclamen, beech, ferns, etc......

Last edited: 18 July 2016 17:35:05

Oh I would have had them Alina...not sure how far away you are. You can pm me if you like.

Bit late now unfortunately, wakeshine - but I'll bear you in mind next year if you still need them. I'm in t'north.