looking after out door Jasmin

kermit the frogkermit the frog Posts: 10

I have a Jasmin I brought last year,

just bloomed and grown a lot should I now train it to go along some string or wire, or let it grow were it wants to go, and let it do its own thing, or do I do any pruning but think its a bit early for that,

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,040

I let mine do its own thing. I hack off bits that go where I don't want them. I am sat by mine now, it's just starting to flower this year. It is glorious.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • kermit the frogkermit the frog Posts: 10

ok that sounds great fidgetbones,

will do the same, I got a large balcony its my little bit of heaven on hear, and thought I need a jasnin I love the colour and the sents it gives off wonderful ?

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 320

kermit, if it's anything like mine, you might want to keep it in check in the confined space of a balcony. I would train it along wires to cover the area you want then trim back as required but be careful that you don't cut back too much or you may not get flowers.

ok I will trail it along lovely I must move in spring I got to have a garden, pond needed to for frogs and other bugs and garden friends

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,040

Jasmine is one of my favourite scents.  Followed by rose absolut, lavender, honeysuckle, phlox, 

June and July in England in warm humid weather is intoxicating.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • B3B3 Posts: 6,375

I just let it get on with it. While it's in bloom I just cut off any shoots without flower buds. When it's finished flowering, I hack it - within reaso. In in the spring, I give it a bit of fertiliser and I water it when I think of it. It will never be tidy. Mine is growing in a huge container that used to have a tree in it. I suspect that it's burrowed down into the soil under the patio. Anyway, it's been there for more than ten years. Benign neglect seems to suit it.

In London. Keen but lazy.

sounds great just let it do what it want's mine is in a big container too, seems happy in there looses its leafs in winter then buds in spring think I will try trailing it ust get the honeysuckle fidgetbones mentioned, and a rose a scrambling rose to clone up wall,