Mark56Mark56 Berkshire, UKPosts: 1,392

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their lavender this year? The flower buds on mine seem to be dying incredibly early compared to last year. Is it because of the lack of sun/heat and increased rain downpours? 

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 260

yup my lavender is pretty poor his year .... possibly too little sun 

• I sympathise. I have a titchy garden with heavy clay soil. Lavenders hate that. After much research I have discovered some tiny varieties and now own 'Thumbelina Leigh' which I am going to keep in a pot as long as I can, then strike a cutting and start over. Tetley, if you keep a close eye and clip back the dying flowers and new tips no later than mid-August, it keeps them compact longer (plus you can shape).

• Mark56Mark56 Berkshire, UKPosts: 1,392

I'm glad I'm not the only one, makes me feel a little better image rotten for the poor bee's though, all this rain and little sun. This week does look better though. I'm aiming to get mine in the ground but it's only its 2nd year in a pot.

• emma louemma lou Posts: 159

Our lavender was full sun in the ground for a couple of years and for some reason did really really badly. This year I have put them in pots by the front door (semi to full shade) and they are thriving. How bizarre?

Last edited: 18 July 2016 03:42:06

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,085

Better drainage in the pot maybe?

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 6,150

They like poor soil and dry conditions image

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,020

I have clay soil, lots of lavender which are fine this year, I find they go woody after a couple of years, give them a hard trim, if they still look a mess, I replace them.  Have grown some from seed, but they took 2 years to get flowring, they are in a pot.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 9,280

Mediterranean plants, so as Pat says, they thrive on poor soil and lots of sun....which for many us just hasn't happened this year!  Mine are sulking because they're being rained on, day in, day out, as they have been for the past three and a half months ( we had 4 days with no rain sometime in June, I think! )image

A light trim - they don't regenerate from the old wood - is all they need, but they will get 'leggy' if you fail to give them a haircut once the flowers have finished.image

I can manage to keep mine for about 5 years or so, and then they usually need replacing.

I don't like change. 
    It wears holes in my trouser pockets.