Forum home Wildlife gardening

New dragonfly pond :)

Hi, my father in law and husband have kindly created a raised nature pond. It is a liner with varying depths and designed to attract dragonflies etc. There are rocks for them to bask on and tall shrubs by one side, including a conifer. We have a ramp at one side for amphibians and the shallow edges at the top and bottom make it easy for frogs to get out too. Since the pic I've added a solar water feature which keeps it moving just a little. 

as for plants, I have put oxygenator plants, 2 miniature water lillies and a few flag iris in but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could do to attract dragonflies? The, water boatmen and water beetles have already moved in. Midges and mosquitoes circle it daily too. 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,297

That's fantastic - sure the dragonflies will love it! I have waterlilies in my pond and they seem to love perching on those - also tall reeds and grasses. I think the larvae go on the tall stems and then emerge as beautiful creatures. Happy wildlife-watching! 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • JodeJayJodeJay Posts: 73

Thanks Rach :)

I kind of have a pond addiction. First was the frog pond, then a tub pond and now this larger one. I love watching it develop. the ground is full of tree roots so digging was impossible but I'm pleased with the progress of this one. Only a month old. 

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Looks pretty good - what are the dimensions? One or two dead branches partly in the water might help to attract egg-laying Southern Hawkers - in the wild they tend to lay in rotten and/or moss-covered logs just above the water level. Don't be too zealous about removing blanketweed as damselflies especially will breed in that.

Do you have a photo of the frog pond?

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Another string to the entertainment value of dragonflies is the dive bombing! My mum "got swooped" yesterday at the pond! Startled the B'Jaysus out of her! image

My pond was well established when I moved in (not to the pond obviously) and I find it daunting and fascinating in equal measure. I've no idea what to do with it but I love it for all the wildlife. 

"Build it and they will come!".

Onopordum says:

Looks pretty good - what are the dimensions? One or two dead branches partly in the water might help to attract egg-laying Southern Hawkers - in the wild they tend to lay in rotten and/or moss-covered logs just above the water level. Don't be too zealous about removing blanketweed as damselflies especially will breed in that.

Do you have a photo of the frog pond?

See original post

Hi, it is 2m length by 1.5 m width. I have some wood in the pond now that is just below water level. Thanks for the tips about the duckweed :) 

Thanks plant pauper, I can't wait to see if my pond attracts them. Already got bees and butterflies swooping over it today :) 

The frog and newt pond, now 3 years old and well established. Think the amphibians are taking shelter in wolf spider city today ( the undergrowth, logs and rocks next to it) 

imageimage

Some more pics in the sunshine today 

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Lovely pond. I bought a small reed mace and a dwarf equisetum which are both useful for supporting dragonfly larva. Although the size of yours should be fine for the normal sized equisetum. Also water violet apparently provides a great nursery space for larvae.

How long have you had water in it for? I'm presuming you took pond water from your other ponds?

Last edited: 17 July 2016 17:29:28

Hi ecokid, we filled it up with tap water, left it to settle a week and then transferred plants and a few Daphnea etc into it. it established really quickly. 

I have some water mint arriving next week which I will pot up. I will have a look for the equisetum too.