Forum home The potting shed

So angry: Neighbour has cut back my pyracantha

My delightful neighbour did his annual trim of my pyracantha (which has been the foraging hotspot for so many fledglings recently). It's only 6 ft high and planted on my property (behind the dividing fence), but he has the audacity to lean over onto my property to cut it back all the way across without even asking. Is there anything I can do about this as this happens every year? He does it so his smoking spot stays sunny in the evenings, but the fact that he does this without even the decency to ask (as he waits until we're not here) completely riles me. 

It's one of the reasons that we're hoping to move soon despite all the money and effort spent making this garden wildlife friendly. image

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Tell me about it - next home will be detached.

I'd love to plant some nettles but will have to keep this place fairly tidy in case we will put it on the market.  If i was particularly vindictive, I'd plant a sycamore well away from the fence so that not only does he have zero sun during the summer in his favourite smoking spot, but he'll have tons of baby seedlings to deal with each year. image

• If he's cut it back when it's on your property then he has absolutely no right to do so. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,475

A solicitor's letter to him might teach him a lesson. Legally he is entitled to cut any overhanging branches but not to lean over. I think that may be technically regarded as trespass.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,137

You could do all of the above ...... but ......... if you're selling a house you're legally obliged to tell any prospective purchaser about any such problems with neighbours ......... I'd keep quiet and carry on with your plans for moving 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

As his children also have no qualms about jumping over our fence to retrieve balls despite being told politely not to (and damaging plants and the structural integrity of the fence in the process), i doubt he'll take any notice. Sadly the only way to deal with such a situation is to either ignore it and not let it bother you or pay out of pocket to tackle it on a legal level. But as dove has mentioned it probably isn't wise as this isn't our forever home and we were always planning on moving once our fixed mortgage time was up - which will probably coincide with the dip in the economy.

If he had asked then I'd more than happy to do it myself, it's his complete disrespect for our property and his deluded belief in his right to sun. 

It's true that you learn a great deal from your first house. image

Last edited: 16 July 2016 12:55:55

• FlyfiferFlyfifer Posts: 167

Hi Eco   As ladybird has said he is entitled to cut off any overhanging growth from his side but no more.

As he is leaning over to cut back your shrub without your permission, I believe it is classed as criminal damage and should be reported to the police in case of any future confrontations.

I would also be inclined to have a solicitors letter sent to him. Good luck.

• Hateful neighbour. .. sprinkle a few packets of wild flower seeds over the fence image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,183

WIND CHIMES JUST NEAR HIS SMOKING SEAT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

That's awful. Our left hand side neighbour has massive conifers all the way along their side of the fence. They're too close to the fence and also nothing grows properly in the bed on my side because of tree roots and lack of nutrients. We had to even change the fence a few years ago because this is our fence and the trees were making them lean. These neighbours obviously have no common sense at all. But someone leaning over to cut your plants is unacceptable. Glad you're moving, you just don't need that stress.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Pansyface if you did that to me I'd set your petticoat on fire!

What a brilliant idea!