Forum home The potting shed

Garden visit - York Gate

LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848

Hi folks.  Went to this garden yesterday with a group of gardening buddies and thought it was great!  Only small (just an acre) but very well designed, with lots of variety and interest, and good home-made cakes... always a bonus!  

Lots of different "rooms", each with a different feel - I liked the contrast here between formal and informal.

A lot of glimpses from one area to another.  That's Tropaeolum speciosum growing up the yew obelisk.  It's a richer colour than appears in the photo below...

Lots of different combinations of gravel and local stone used in the paths - the bottom example used old mill stones of various sizes.

There's a stream and various ponds, plus a bog garden.

...and lots of lovely plants...

Anyone recognise this, above?  It's prickly, both the leaves and the flowering stem, and grows to about 3 feet.

Two espaliered plants - conifer and pyracantha.  Very striking!

Do go if you get the chance.  It costs £5, and is run by the gardening charity Perennial.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

A do-able size of garden so that time can be spent taking it in.I like the use of the millstones and the espaliered conifer and pyracantha. Enjoyable to see differing planting combinations too.

My tropeolum speciosum disappeared suddenly after many years. . . . it had been dug up by an elderly man whose garden I was admiring so I was sorry to lose it.

Thanks for sharing Liri image

SW Scotland
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,378

Thank you Liri, it's lovely, great photos.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848

Thanks everyone!  And thank you for the ID, Alan.  My friends will be pleased...  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,572

Lovely pics - thanks Liri. I really like what they've done with the pyracantha and the topiary

I must remember this garden for the next time we're visiting the in-laws. image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down