Forum home Plants

Which seeds?

Hello everyone

Which seeds can you just chuck in the soil and leave to their own devices? 

• Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342

Are we talking flowers or veg or both?

• Flowers please

Ah ok, I'm not so good with flowers as I am veg but this year  I have managed poppies, cornflowers, poached egg plants, love in a mist and nasturtium I also got a couple of packs of wild flowers that I just scattered. 

• Great thank you very much. So can you just throw the seeds and mix in with the soil and it goes from there? I seem to always mess things up.

With the ones I mentioned all I did was pre weed the soil, rake it over to loosen the soils. Water the soil then sprinkle the seeds and keep watered until germination happened

• Thank you every so much Sophie much appreciated

Your welcome, hopefully there will be someone else along with more knowledge of flowers than me soon to help you

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

I chucked in california poppies and annual poppies in April and the annuals are just flowering now. The californias haven't flowered yet and not sure they will as it's been ages. I can't believe how slow they've been. Only other problem I found is that they are not growing where I scattered them. They have all crowded in one place around a peony bare root I planted. The peony started to shoot and is surrounded by a mess of poppies. I don't think I'd do the scattering method again...

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Hi Tina.  Forget me nots are easy ones and will carry on self seeding themselves for years, I have yellow Californian poppies and aquilegia that do the same, they can be a pain if you want a perfect garden but are definitely low maintenance.

• Aquilegia, nasturtium, foxgloves & poppies have proved to be easy here, and follow Sophie's instructions for preparation and after care.