Weeds or Wild Flowers??

gallerchick1 says:
Can anyone tell me what these could be? Ive mentioned on a previous thread that i had sown some wildflowers but the packet didnt go into too much details as to what ones!
Weeds or wildflowers??
See original post
imageimageimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,156

WELL, FOR A START, A WILD FLOWER IS A WEED IF IT IS UNWANTED. SO WHETHER THEY ARE WILD FLOWERS OR WEEDS IS UP TO YOU.

THE FIRST, I HAVE NO IDEA.

THE SECOND IS PURPLE DEADNETTLE.

THE THIRD IS FAT HEN. VERY VERY PROLIFIC IN THE SEED DEPARTMENT.

YOU DECIDE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,156

All those are wildflowers. A weed is just something in the wrong place - but still a flower. image The middle one is one of the dead nettles but the other two will need someone with more knowledge than I have to help you identify them

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • image Thanks good to know!

• Most wild flowers attract bees and other insects, so if you have the space for a wild area not only your garden but the rest of  the local wildlife will also benefit from them. We only have a 3 metre square raised bed planted up with wild plant seeds and get far more bees in this small area than in the rest of the garden - apart from the veg. patch. One of the nice things about a packet of mixed wild seeds is that you never know what is going to grow, we have had plenty of surprise plants, and most of them reseed next year too.imageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

I think the first one is corncockle.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,156

THIS IS CORNCOCKLE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I'll take another pic when it flowers..probably be easier to classify then image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

I think the first one is one of the linums. Possibly that nice red one that gets put in the mixes.

Can't remember its name for the minute, it will come to me

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

it already has, Linum grandiflorum

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,156

gallerchick, I am so impressed with the examples of wildflowers in your mix so could you please let me know where you got your seeds from?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable