Forum home Wildlife gardening

What is this?

gallerchick1 says:

Hi i have sown a large mix of wildlife seeds..i think it was from a natures haven bag but it isnt very clear which flowers im going to get. Where i have sown them looks like a bunch of weeds has germinated but ive left it to see what flowers.

One lot i recognise as borage but this one i'm not sure of..can anyone tell me if its a wildflower or a weed pls image if you recognise anything else in the pic feel free to let me know!! lol

See original post

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,922

Hi there Gallerchick. Its Vipers Bugloss - Echium vulgaris. Be careful of the 'hairs' on it as they can cause skin irritation. Great plant for bees. One of my favourites.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ecokidecokid Posts: 138

It's a native wildflower that has been somewhat in decline and one of the  few plants that produces nectar all day and not just during the morning, which is why it's so popular with our buzzy friends.

• Ah great thank you! Can i collect seeds from this when its finished flowering? If its in decline would love to keep it going year after year!

• Here are a few more i was wondering if you could identify?   image

image                                          image weeds or wildflowers??

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,922

Hi again. Your echiums will just scatter their seeds themselves. Like the foxglove they are biennials and will form a rosette in the first year of growth and flower in the second. I tried to answer the wildflower question on your other post.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks Ladybird4 I did see image