Daily wildlife moments

• steephillsteephill Posts: 719

Swet little visitor Fairygirl, we are being besieged by various baby tits at the moment. They seem impossibly small and fragile but have figured out how to use the bird feeders.

We also get greater spotted woodpeckers (you may have seen the video I posted) and I realised today that we also get the lesser spotted ones too. I had thought that they were just juvenile GSWs so it is true, every day is a school day! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,265

Lovely to have woodies steephill. I've only ever had the odd one visiting - there's plenty of suitable places round here for them so I expect they don't need to visit gardens. I hear them quite often though. 

I posted this on the camera thread as it was from my walk on Saturday as opposed to the garden, but some people may not be familiar with them.

Little meadow pipits taking a break image

There's a lot of them here - all the way along the fence

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• iceice Posts: 320

Found a young freddyimage

Also disturbed his slightly older brother and a toad hiding under old compost bag. Both were bursting full of slugs, though 2 fat ones were curled up next to them. 

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

Tortoiseshell on hebe. Not had many butterflies so far but there is a hedgehog visiting.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

After fearing the worst (seeing two squashed hedgehogs on the road) I'm pleased to report that have seen both little and large visiting the garden individually. Whether they're the same little and large from earlier this year I don't know but I'm determined to start demanding the hedgehog house his lordship promised me two years ago now!!

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

Sorry about the awful pictures but has anyone any idea what this is. It's almost two inches long and was totally unfazed by me lifting the log it was on and slinging it into the wheelbarrow! image 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,265

Seen them before Pp, but can't remember what they are....image

Lovely tortie Gillian. Real lack of butterflies here, but that's not entirely unusual. August is when we get most of ours. The buddleias are flowering so hopefully there'll be plenty image

Almost stood on this little chap yesterday. Well, they will hide in the heather...image  

Move on...nothing to see here...

Loads of grouse, scaring the bejaysus out of me when they suddenly erupt as you go by. The youngsters are always cute  image

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 427

Found this today. Never seen one before. 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 14,349

Frog looks fab in the heather Fairyimage

SW Scotland