Daily wildlife moments

• ShepsSheps Posts: 824

Good photography, Steephill...the Roe Deer is an absolute peach of a shot image

Sheps...image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,131

A bit of a wildlife moment this morning - I was having a mug of coffee out in the garden, watching some juvenile blackbirds investigating all sorts of things, when suddenly I heard a loud scream and a frog leapt from a rock by the pond over into the undergrowth in the Wilderness, and the blackbird took off with an alarmed squark - I knew that frogs scream if being attacked by birds etc, but I'd never seen or heard it before - it was really quite loud. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I never knew that frogs made any other noise apart from their croak - I will have to tune into that scream as we also have birds using the pond where the frogs live. It must have been a surprise, hope the sound didn't make you didn't spill your coffee Dovefromabove!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,131

It'd take more than that to make me spill my coffee GD!  I'm used to hanging on to that for dear life image

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/animals/can-frogs-scream 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648

Fantastic pictures here. Steephill - that deer photo is superb  -in every way  image

Joyce- re the rabbits. They 'll have a go at just about anything and everything...image

Fresh new growth on perennials in particular, but the young ones constantly nibble to try things out. image

You might need to make a chicken wire cage round some plants before they emerge in spring.  Some things they don't seem to touch - we found Berberis, Juniper, Crocosmia, Willow, Heathers, various conifers, Lysimmachia, Alchemilla, Potentilla and Rhodies were fairly untroubled. They love crocus and tulips but don't touch daffs and snowdrops. Some years they're worse than other too. If you can protect climbers like clematis and honeysuckle till they mature a bit, then they're ok as the new growth is too high or sturdy enough to withstand a nibble. 

Screaming frogs...would they keep cats out? image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 14,633

Thanks Fairy. I have all the above plants plus camellia and  azaleas.  The pots of tulips get protection against the squirrels and I have protection at base of clematis against over vigorous hoeing!! So it looks as though it's the perennials next..........

SW Scotland
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 764

Had a quick peep in the compost bins to see how the slow worms were getting on and found these three lounging about instead of eating slugs like they are supposed to. You just can't get the staff these days!

• ShepsSheps Posts: 824

Fantastic shot, Steephill...they can lounge about in my garden anytime they wish image

Sheps...image

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Love slow worms - such quirky creatures! Great picture Steephill!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648

Gorgeous steephill. image

You've made it too cosy for them though - you'll need to kick their butts  and get them to work on the slugs...image

I posted this elsewhere already, but I suppose I should have put it here. My little visitor this morning image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again