Daily wildlife moments

• batwood14batwood14 Posts: 91
    I have not managed to capture the Blue Tits visiting the nest boxes we have put up but snapped the Goldfinches and a Robin over the Easter weekend.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,485
    Lovely shot of that Robin! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ImpatientGardenerImpatientGardener Posts: 268
    Got a small blue butterfly resting on a clematis montana today.

Paint your fence!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,661
    I never understand the need for leatherjacket treatments in gardens. I was digging back some grass that was invading places where it shouldn't and the ground was infested with leatherjackets, you couldn't tell by looking at the grass though and the roots I was pulling up were dense and healthy. I put 40 or 50 grubs into pot dishes for the birds and they were hoovered up in minutes.

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,510
    What a lovely picture wild edges - just as nature intended with no nasty chemicals and a little help from mankind with a posh dish to eat from too.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 90
    Got a small blue butterfly resting on a clematis montana today.

Hi,
    That's a Holly Blue - it's too early for Small Blue.
    Luv Dave
  • ImpatientGardenerImpatientGardener Posts: 268
    Is the "small blue" even smaller?!
    Paint your fence!
    It is, it's tiny and quite scarce!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,397
    edited 24 April
    They are @dave125 ? If that is what I have flying all around me ( and yes they are tiny) then I have plenty here.

Just looked them up and to be honest not sure what I'm seeing as all the blue ones shouldn't be out now and the blue colour seems wrong, these are only a quarter of the size of a regular butterfly. 
    It's all relative really. All the Blue's are quite small, even the Large Blue. The easiest way to identify them is by the shade of blue, which immediately tells you the one pictured is a Holly Blue, and then by the under-wing markings.
    I'm not saying your's are not Small Blue but this is quite a scarce Butterfly which has not been recorded officially in Lincolnshire to my knowledge.