Daily wildlife moments

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,043
    What a lovely picture wild edges - just as nature intended with no nasty chemicals and a little help from mankind with a posh dish to eat from too.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 116
    Got a small blue butterfly resting on a clematis montana today.

Hi,
    That's a Holly Blue - it's too early for Small Blue.
    Luv Dave
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 552
    Is the "small blue" even smaller?!
    It is, it's tiny and quite scarce!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,787
    edited 24 April
    They are @dave125 ? If that is what I have flying all around me ( and yes they are tiny) then I have plenty here.

Just looked them up and to be honest not sure what I'm seeing as all the blue ones shouldn't be out now and the blue colour seems wrong, these are only a quarter of the size of a regular butterfly. 
    It's all relative really. All the Blue's are quite small, even the Large Blue. The easiest way to identify them is by the shade of blue, which immediately tells you the one pictured is a Holly Blue, and then by the under-wing markings.
    I'm not saying your's are not Small Blue but this is quite a scarce Butterfly which has not been recorded officially in Lincolnshire to my knowledge.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,787
    That's what I thought @dave125 they are so fast its impossible to see what the underside looks like. If I get closer I'll  try to see.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 552
    Shield bug on a rose. Longer and thinner than the other ones I've seen recently, plus the brown markings are new.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,081
    Looks like a Hawthorn shield bug.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,081
    Todays daily wildlife moment arrived with a thump against the kitchen window. Despite losing a few feathers and looking a bit embarrased the baby blackbird seemed fine and dad came to take it off to safety soon enough. I didn't get too close and the dad pretty much stands on my feet as I fill the feeders so I didn't cause him any stress either.