Daily wildlife moments

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,265
    You'll often see them at the side of motorways, or beside new roads, especially when it's cut through farmland or similar. They sit on the fence posts and wait patiently.  :)

I always try and get a pic when I'm out walking, but they rarely play ball - usually too high for my camera to get them  :D
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,379
    We see and hear buzzards over our home quite frequently most recent summers ...and we’re right at the edge of Norwich  ... and it’s an unusual drive out into the countryside that we don’t see at least one buzzard or red kite. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,403
    I was clearing up the garden yesterday and cut down about half of the teasels and tied them to a fence post out of the way. As if in protest this goldfinch came and started picking through them while glaring at me, although to be fair the only expression they have is glaring. He (I say he because apparently male goldfinches are more likely to feed from teasels due to their slightly longer beaks) was happy to allow me to work within 3 to 4 metres before retreating to the apple tree. If you never heard it a goldfinch feeding from a teasel sounds like someone running a comb over the edge of a piece of paper. I think they must run their beaks along the spines and listen for loose seeds inside. I'm really happy with the colour range in the first photo, the background is the brick of my neighbour's house, and how the red feathers tie in with the bursting buds of the apple tree in the second pic.

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 340
    Lovely pics @wild edges. We have flocks of goldfinches in the winter visiting the feeders. The local numbers are swelled by loads of others that come down here for the winter and then disappear again in late March leaving us with a dozen or so. When we came here fourteen years ago we had large numbers of buzzards and kites, but their numbers have dwindled with lack of bio diversity, the farmers having ploughed the fields to grow sunflowers and rapeseed.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 615
    On the prowl! 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 870
    edited 28 March
    Flinster what is it?
    Dragonfly thingy, nymph?
    We don't have a pond see adults in the area.

Buzzards are pretty common here down South too.
    In the 'burbs but wooded areas and Downs not too far away help I guess.

If I have to chase the Queen Bumblebee out of the blow away one more time......I am not worried or scared of them but don't want it trapped and tired. Even with the door rolled right up they still get stuck bouncing up and down at the apex.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,403
    edited 3 April
    This guy is sat outside my office window noisily claiming territory over the nest box on the wall. It's lovely to see but I wish he'd learn some more words to his song :#

(My window is badly in need of a clean hence the slightly hazy photo :bl: )

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,283
    I know what you mean, WE, we have lots around here and the repetition is a bit irritating after a while!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,379
    Same here!
    Mr Chaffinch isn’t much better 😆 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,329
    The herring gulls with their squawking, especially when there is a group of them and they are attacking the food on the bird table, now that really gets my goat!