Daily wildlife moments

• The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 403

Took me two hours to mow my lawn for fear of inadvertently killing one of these chappies. image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

Isn't it just amazing how that wee scrap can survive and thrive!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648

Lovely froglets  image

I narrowly avoided stepping on several of them last year as they 'frogged' from the pond  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,857

That's a Toadlet ( Toadling ? ) in the pic isn't it ?  Lucky you HHerp.image  Mine have done nothing this yearimage

Ooh - mine looked like that Philippa. Sure they were frogspawn though....image

Till we begin
    Again

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,857

Fairy - Just the shape and the large head made me immediately think Toad as opposed to Frog - could be wrong of course ( wouldn't be the first time ) .

Can you remember when you got your spawn ?  Toads are usually earlier than Frogs but also the spawn is different.  Frogs are "clumps" and Toads are "strings".  

Is that any help ?  I can't remember what happened yesterday never mind a few months agoimage

Someone else is sure to come along and rubbish my IDimageimage

• The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 403

Yes, I was lucky enough to get both frog and toadspawn this year .....and have some folded water forget-me-not leaves which leads me to believe that newt efts may follow.

I think the pic may be a froglet as they have tended to look like this in previous years. They change very rapidly in the first few days out of water and it's only after a week or so that I find I'm able to distinguish the froglets from the toadlets. I love all my garden amphibians and wish them all equal prosperity and the same chances in life. I'm the Theresa May of wildlife gardening you could say.....

Last edited: 13 July 2016 19:22:44

No - definitely clumps of spawn philippa. Last year's came from a burn at the side of a hill in the Campsies. 

This year's were rescued from the top of a boulder on a hill in Glen Douglas, at least fifty feet from the nearest pool.  Not seen much of them ...not surprising really when you consider their original location. They didn't come from very smart parental stock....image

Could give you the dates if I look up the pix from the walks!

We had frogs and toads at the last house though -  strings and clumps  of spawn. image

Till we begin
    Again

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 528

First frog in my new pondimage fantastic

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 528

True what they say about a wildlife pond have lived here  three years never seen a frog no ponds around we dug it out in May and it as been amazing watching things arrive and the birds drinking and bathing